The City is preparing for the annual September 11th commemoration ceremony at the National September 11 Memorial at the World Trade Center site. At this time, we would like to share with you detailed information regarding the upcoming ceremony, including street closures, traffic, parking and pedestrian impacts.
The commemoration for family members will take place on Sunday, September 11th from 6:30 AM until 4:00 PM. Following a moment of silence at 8:46 AM, the names of the victims will be read with music as a backdrop throughout the program. Additionally there will be a total of five moments of silence: 9:03 AM, 9:36 AM (Pentagon), 9:59 AM, 10:03 AM (Flight 93), and 10:28 AM. During the ceremony, families will be allowed to visit the 9/11 Memorial for the first time. The Tribute in Light will begin at sundown.
Given the limited vehicle and pedestrian access in the immediate area of the World Trade Center site and Lower Manhattan vicinity on September 11th, we encourage you and your fellow residents, tenants, employees and outside guests to do the following in preparation:
- Avoid scheduling deliveries on Sunday, September 11th until after 8:00 PM.
- Residents and employees should carry verification of home or business address at all times.
- Minimize car service pickups on September 11th. Traffic along Broadway is expected to be heavy.
Use public transportation whenever possible to stations outside of the event area. Please note:
- MTA passengers should plan for the Cortlandt Street R station to be bypassed from 7:00 AMto early afternoon and check the MTA website at www.mta.info for updates on bus routes and service.
- PATH passengers should plan for suspended service to and from the World Trade Center and restricted access to the WTC Path Station from approximately 7:00 AM to 11:00 AM.
Please note below significant routes that will affect your vehicular travels:
- Northbound West Street between Battery Place and Murray Streets will be closed to traffic from Friday, September 9, 11:59 PM through Monday, September 12, 5:00 AM.
- Southbound West Street between Battery Place and Chambers Street will be closed to traffic from Sunday, September 11, 5:00 AM through Monday, September 12, 5:00
- Church Street/Trinity Place between Rector and Barclay Streets will be closed Sunday, September 11, 5:00 a.m. through 5:00 p.m.
- Broadway will remain open to vehicles.
1 thought on “9/11 Commemoration – Public Transportation Changes & Access Detours”
Please note, expect additional street changes and access detours with added police checkpoints in and around Ground Zero/World Trade Center site.
Comments are closed.