As the filming for Justin Timberlake’s “Friends With Benefits” have taken over our neighborhood the last couple of days, it had our team thinking…
What other movies have taken over our esplanade in this way?
At first thought, we remembered Barbra Streisand’s ‘Prince of Tides,’ and then before we knew it an entire list was cobbled together.
So to help you at your next neighborhood cocktail party, we present:
(Some) Movies Filmed in Battery Park City List!(In seriously no particular order!)
1. ‘Prince of Tides’ (1991) starring Nick Nolte and Barbra Streisand – scenes were filmed in and around the esplanade.
2. ‘Hackers’ (1995) starring Angelina Jolie (before Brad) – scenes filmed at the then new Stuyvesant High School
3. Â ‘Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps’ (2010) starring Shia LeBouf and Michael Douglas – scenes filmed in and around the Bowling Green area.
4. ‘Sorcerer’s Apprentice’ (2010) starring Nic Cage – scenes filmed in Battery Park.
5. ‘The Adjustment Bureau’ (2010) starring Matt Damon and Emily Blunt – scenes were filmed at the Ritz Carlton Battery Park
6. ‘P.S. I Love You’ (2007) starring Gerard Butler and Hilary Swank
7. ‘Boomerang’ (1992) starring Eddie Murphy
8. ‘The Good Guy’Â (2009) starring Alexis Bledel (Thanks to FB friend Ellen!)
9. ‘Hitch’ (2005) starring Will Smith (Thanks to FB friend Honey!)
10. ‘Desperately Seeking Susan’ (1985) starring Madonna (Thanks to FB friend Fern!)
11. ‘Men In Black’ (1997) starring Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones (Thanks to FB friend Laura!)
12. ‘I Am Legend’ (2007) starring Will Smith (Thanks to FB friend Tom who also honorably mentions ‘Working Girl’ starring Melanie Griffith)
13. ‘Inside Man’ (2006) starring Denzel Washington and Clive Owen (Thanks to Roberta!)
Any others we might be missing? Let us know!
5 thoughts on “Movies Filmed In Battery Park City”
Very good list of movies. My favorite (even though it hurts a bit) BPC appearance in any film or tv was the episode of 30 Rock where BPC stood in for external shots of Cleveland. Oh, the humanity!
You forgot “Inside Man” Directed by Spike Lee
Indie Spirit Awards & Oscar Night are coming-up this weekend.
Wonder if it’s worth it for any BPC community rooms to do a “Meet-up” style
“Oscar night” w/ lottsa Cajun popcorn.
Could be kind of cool if someone had put together a short film fr footage combining above listed locations.
Maybe this concept was done during a previous Tribeca Film Fest ?
Or a future YouTube project for some NYU film students. Better yet.. a team project for ” local ” BMCC Liberal Arts grads.
Filming with a heart..
Kudos ! ! to Jim Whitaker’s “Rebirth” team
for their on-going dedication
in documenting the very personal process of grieving, hope and Rebirth.
There is an excellent article by WNYC Culture Producer; Marlon Bishop
on ProjectRebirth entitled “New 9/11 Time-Lapse Documentary Debuts at Sundance”.
Re fr. WNYC article : – “Rebirth,” which was nine years in the making, was shown for the first time at Sundance on January 20. The five people he interviewed were in the audience. “We received two standing ovations. It was very emotional for all of us,” says Whitaker, whose own mother passed away six months before 9/11. Making the film helped him grieve and move on alongside the subjects he interviewed.
Re: – ” Although the distribution details haven’t been worked out yet, “Rebirth” is expected to be screened on television on September 11, 2011″
Marlon Bishop’s article Ref: Tues, Feb. 01, 2011
search : culture . wnyc . org / articles / features / 2011 /f eb / 01/ new-911-timelapse-doc-debuts-sundance/
Cameron Crowe’s new documentary “The Union”, chronicling the musical collaboration between Elton John and Leon Russell, will premiere as the opening night film
at the 2011 Tribeca Film Festival, NYC on Wednesday, April 20th.
Festival runs; April 20-May 1, 2011
((would be nice if there were an added Dale-n-Thomas popcorn “collaboration”…))
Comments are closed.